Friday 12 December 2014

Man, 80, Guilty Of Acid Attack On Teenage Ex

Mohammed Rafiq (L), Steven Holmes (middle) and Shannon Heaps
Mohammed Rafiq's 19-year-old victim is left with serious burns to her face and neck after the doorstep attack last April

An 80-year-old man has been convicted for attacking his teenage ex-girlfriend with acid after she ended the relationship because he was too controlling.

Mohammed Rafiq, from Smethwick, arranged for caustic liquid to be thrown at 19-year-old Vikki Horsman in revenge for her decision.

She was left with serious burns to her face and neck in April after opening the front door of her home in Tividale, West Midlands, and being attacked by Rafiq and his two accomplices, Steven Holmes, 25, and Shannon Heaps, 23.

Jurors at Wolverhampton Crown Court were told the 19-year-old had decided to leave Rafiq because of his controlling behaviour.

Rafiq was initially treated as a victim, having also received minor burns when he was splashed by the liquid.

It was only later that police became suspicious and his part in the plot became clearer, leading to his being charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and perverting the course of justice.

DC Jason Moseley, investigating officer in the case, said: "This was a horrifying and complex case.

"Rafiq’s young ex-partner was seriously injured and left with devastating, lasting scars, which one can only presume was his intent given the nature of the planned attack .

"His victim now has to rebuild her life and move on from what was ultimately a controlling, abusive relationship that she paid a high price to leave."

Speaking after the trial, Ms Horsman revealed the extent of her ordeal.

"What happened that day changed my life forever," she said.

"I have had to undergo lots of treatment for the burns and the damage those people caused.

"But it is not just what everyone can see that causes me pain. The trauma and distress that Rafiq and his accomplices have put me under have left mental scars that I fear will never go away.

"I still have sleepless nights and keep leaving my home to stay with friends and relatives as I can’t bear to be on my own.

"This is what those people have done to me - all because I had the courage to be my own person and escape a controlling man.

"I know I have to be strong and am pleased that justice has been done."

Rafiq and his accomplices are due to be sentenced on 19 December at Wolverhampton Crown Court.


Sky News

No comments:

Post a Comment