Thursday 4 December 2014

Nicki Minaj Raps About Losing a Child as a Teenager in New Track

/
"All Things Go," a track from Nicki Minaj's forthcoming album The Pinkprint leaked online yesterday evening. (Most streams have since been taken down, but you can listen here.) Nicki previously teased that it's one of "the most emotional" songs on her new record.

She muses on mortality and life goals, as well as many deeply personal moments; she raps about her relationship with her mom ("I'm love my mother more than life itself") and brothers, as well as the 2011 murder of her cousin Nicholas Telemaque.

In the song's third verse, Nicki also refers to "my child with Aaron, [who] would've have been sixteen any minute." That would make Nicki a 15/16-year-old at the time of the pregnancy she's presumably remembering. The lyrics are somewhat vague, perhaps deliberately so. Media coverage of the song so far is split between references to Nicki losing her baby or getting an abortion. (And to be clear, she's under no obligation to lay out her private life so frankly just to fit any given rhyme scheme).

But as MTV notes, she's sung about what sounds like an abortion previously, in the 2008 track "Autobiography." This song's second verse implies she got a termination as a teen, opening with "Baby, forgive me, mommy was young, mommy was too busy trying to have fun ... and now I don't pat myself on the back for sending you back." Nicki also says she "listened to people who told me I wasn't ready for you, but how the fuck would they know what I was ready to do."


By Alex Rees

No comments:

Post a Comment